I've been vegan for over a year now, and I've been craving wild rice soup. The creamy shit that normally has delicious chicken bits in it. But fuck if dairy isn't in goddamn everything. So I made the shit myself. Seitan, despeite the awesome name, makes me feel like shit, so I tend to not use any "meat substitutes" in recipes like this.
I thought about my celiac friends, namely Penny, Melody, and Heather, and I decided to make this gluten-free. My longest day at college is tomorrow, which goes from 11 am to 9 pm. I bought this fantastic 22 ounce food thermos that keeps shit hot for 15 hours. I also have a lovely two-liter canteen just like this for my hot water since I drink a shit-ton of tea.
So yeah, here's the recipe. Make it in a crock pot. Add the milk a few minutes before serving (if you even want to add it. I don't think the recipe needs it at all.)
- one large red onion, chopped (yellow and white onions are for pussies)
- seven carrots, chopped or sliced if they're thin (I like carrots, alright?)
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, cubed (or their red-skinned equivalent)
- 8 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 cup wild rice, rised and uncooked
- 3/4 cups gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast (you can leave it out if you hate this stuff)
- 2 teaspoons dry rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder (trust me)
- SHIT TONS of fresh black pepper (even if you kind of despise pepper, just put a bunch in anyway)
- 8 cups broth (I use Better Than Boullion because it's cheap and way better than the shelf-stable crap)
- 1 or 2 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds (if you hate yourself. Nuts ruin everything.)
Slap that shit into a crockpot. The potatoes take the longest to cook. Your rice will get overcooked if you have your crockpot set to "high" since they settle to the bottom. Cook on low for about 8 hours. Then eat the fuck out of it.